REPORTER (Moses Lake, WA)
The Columbia Basin Herald seeks a full-time reporter. We publish a daily five days a week, plus a weekly, a monthly, a basket of slick magazines, plus three websites and social media.
Our offices are in Moses Lake, the center of Washington. Here in the Columbia Basin, the weather is mild and dry. Our community is built around an 18 mile lake with 3,000 acres of sand dunes and plenty of trails for hiking and outdoor activities.
The successful applicant will be a multi-talented writer and photographer who is dedicated to excelling at local coverage, identifying and producing enterprise stories, and contributing to special sections. Must be organized and committed to accuracy and fairness. This person reports to the managing editor.
- Bachelor's degree in journalism or equivalent experience
- Strong writing and photography skills
- Experience with use of computers and cameras
- Multimedia experience
- Time management skills
- Understanding of journalistic ethics
- Proficiency with grammar and AP style
- Be able to meet and communicate well with the public on newspaper and community issues
- Ability to quickly adapt to change
- Able to work some nights and weekends
- Must have reliable transportation and a valid driver's license
- Cover assigned beats and produce accurate news and features
- Develop leads and story ideas as well as produce assigned stories
- Prepare content elements for publication online and in print on deadline
- Assist in areas as assigned
Send your cover letter, resume and work samples to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Columbia Basin Herald is an equal opportunity employer. We are a part of Hagadone Corp., a family-owned company with news organizations also in northern Idaho and Montana.
EDITOR (Moses Lake, WA)
The Columbia Basin Herald seeks an experienced journalist to join our news team. Under direction of the managing editor, the local editor will help guide news coverage online and in our newspaper, published five days a week. We also publish a weekly, a monthly and several annual magazines. We are based in Moses Lake, in the center of Washington, where the weather is dry and outdoor recreation is abundant. Our region is noted for world-class agriculture, but some well-known companies are also prominent in the area.
The successful applicant will be committed to accuracy and fairness and have a drive for engaging community journalism. Must be organized and able to juggle work on multiple publications on different schedules. We are looking for a wide skill set for this responsible position. It includes working closely with reporters, and it may include writing opportunities and helping increase audience engagement through social media.
· Bachelor’s degree in journalism or equivalent experience
· Strong writing, editing and proofreading skills
· Multimedia experience
· Time management skills
· Understanding of journalistic ethics
· Ability to make decisions based on sound news values
· Proficiency with grammar and AP style
· Daily newspaper experience preferred
· Computer skills
· Experience with InDesign
· Ability to work nights and weekends as needed
· Reliable transportation and a valid driver’s license
Duties may include:
· Edit and rewrite copy
· Handle breaking news
· Assist with online platforms
· Assist with publication production on deadline
· Design pages
· Write articles and create content elements
Maybe you are an experienced reporter with hands-on experience in page design and proofreading or websites and social media. Maybe you are a city editor or an experienced copy editor and designer who enjoys being involved in the wider news operation. We want to talk with you.
Send your cover letter, resume and work samples to email@example.com.
The Columbia Basin Herald is an equal opportunity employer.We are a part of Hagadone, a family-owned company with news organizations also in northern Idaho and Montana.
Executive Director & Editor, Senior News, Thurston County Council on the Aging.
Salary range: $48,000 – $65,000 depending on qualification and includes employee benefit package.
Target start date: Feb. 10, 2021
This is a unique opportunity to oversee the general daily operations of the Thurston-Mason Senior News and the Medical Equipment Bank. Hours will vary dependent on activity schedules.
This position is responsible for the managing and editing functions of the Senior News, including but not limited to content creation of the newspaper (including collecting submissions from authors, writing, photography, layout, and design of the publication) and full oversight of editorial content. This includes any applicable website and/or social media updates. Candidate must demonstrate good written communication skills, including impeccable spelling, punctuation, grammar, and attention to detail.
The Editor is responsible for overseeing the printing and distribution of the paper, all phases of production and recruitment and management of volunteer delivery drivers. This includes the collection of subscription additions and list changes, which are communicated to a list service vendor for subscription maintenance, as well as working to increase the mailing list.
Duties will also include advertising sales, working with the bookkeeper to develop sound policies for prompt payment, submitting timely reports to both the bookkeeper and the board, and attending board meetings of the Thurston County Council on the Aging (TCCA).
The Medical Equipment Bank (or MEB) is a service of the Thurston County Council on the Aging and is located in Lacey, WA. The Executive Director will be responsible for managing the MEB, which is run by volunteers. The Editor must be prepared to respond to situations that may arise in the operation of the MEB, such as accidents, incidents, injuries, or other such instances. The editor will also work with volunteers in collecting donations, fundraising efforts, and will publish MEB information and updates in the paper and on correlating websites.
The Executive Director will be responsible for developing appeal and drafting and managing the
production of fundraising efforts at the approval of the board. Also included is the expectation to
expand fundraising prospects and grow outreach methods, which will include but not be limited to
Job qualifications include: a Bachelor’s degree in communications or public relations or equivalent experience; Five yearsminimum experience in design for printing, writing, editing, layout and photography;• Proficient in Adobe In-Design, Photoshop, Illustrator, PDF conversion; experience with advertising sales, billing, and working with a bookkeeper, as the continued success of
the newspaper depends on revenue generated through ad sales; willing and able to work a flexible schedule, including evenings, weekends, and holidays as needed and must have reliable transportation and provide proof of car insurance
To be considered, please submit a resume, references, and portfolio electronically to
firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail: TCCoA Board, Re: Executive Director Position c/o Joyce Wilms, PO Box 7184, Olympia, WA 9850.
CHIEF FINANCIAL OFFICER
Seeking Chief Financial Officer for family-owned media company based in Bend, Oregon.
EO Media Group is a fourth-generation, family-owned company with a portfolio of newspapers, magazines and digital products. We're proud of our 109-year heritage of publishing and the creativity of our managers and employees.
To guide the finances of the company in the future, we are seeking a Chief Financial Officer with the education, background and leadership to guide finances in the coming years. The Chief Financial Officer will oversee the corporate accounting team, monitor and implement internal financial controls and be responsible for financial reports and budgeting. This is a hands-on position, working alongside a team of 4 staff members.
You will need a education in accounting or finance, CPA or MBA preferred, five + years of management experience and a firm grasp of GAAP. Strong analytical skills, regulatory knowledge, experience in the media field and a passion for streamlining functions through technology are also required.
You will join a skilled and dedicated team, committed to keeping quality journalism in local communities throughout Oregon and Washington. Some travel is required for board meetings and budgeting.
Do you love being part of the community?
The North County Outlook is seeking a full- or part-time advertising sales representative to join our hometown newspaper team! Preference is for self-motivated, results-driven people who are excited to share the many benefits of newspaper, online, and niche product advertising.
The North County Outlook is locally-owned and operated since 2007.
Please email resume to email@example.com.
general REPORTER (bainbridge ISLAND)
The award-winning weekly newspaper, Bainbridge Island Review, on Bainbridge Island, WA, has an opening for a general assignment reporter. We want a skilled and passionate writer who isn’t afraid to tackle meaty news stories. Applicants must be able to work in a team-oriented, deadline-driven environment, possess excellent writing skills, have a knowledge of community news and be able to write about multiple topics.
- Produce local news content for digital and print formats. Shooting photographs and
video is required.
- Should be proficient at utilizing digital tools and print / digital software in the field.
- Must be adept at social media and new media platforms.
- Will be required to produce daily breaking news, cover some in-depth reporting and
other reporting as may be assigned. A minimum of 3 stories per day is required,
with an additional 2 for our weekend publications.
- Must be able to focus on issues and content reflective our readers values and their
- Must be able to keep up with Local, State and National news. This will include
perusing digital, print and local sources to establish sources.
- Must complete clerical tasks, clocking in and out, expense reporting etc.
- Must be able to work as part of a team and independently the workload dictates.
- Must follow all company policies and procedures. Must have a working cell phone
and reliable transportation.
- Must have a valid drivers license and be properly insured.
- Must have a bachelor’s degree in journalism and at least 2 – 5 years of experience as
a reporter for a news gathering entity.
- Must have advanced computer skills and a working knowledge of AP style.
This is a full-time position that includes excellent benefits: medical, dental, life insurance, a 401(k) with company match, and paid time-off.
For immediate consideration, send your resume with cover letter, three or more non-returnable clips in PDF or text format and references to firstname.lastname@example.org . Make sure to include “BIR-Reporter” in the subject line.
experienced EDITOR (bainbridge island)
Sound Publishing has an immediate opening for an Editor to lead the award-winning weekly newspaper, Bainbridge Island Review, on Bainbridge Island, WA. This is not an entry-level position. Requires a hands-on leader with a minimum of three years of newspaper experience including writing, editing, pagination, photography and monitoring social media.
The successful candidate:
- Has a demonstrated interest in local political and cultural affairs.
- Possesses excellent writing and verbal skills, and can provide representative clips from one or more professional publications.
- Has experience editing reporters’ copy and submitted materials for content and style.
- Is proficient in designing and building pages with Adobe InDesign.
- Is experienced managing an opinion page, writing cogent and stylistically interesting commentaries, and editing a reader letters column.
- Has experience with social media and newspaper website content management and understands the value of the web to report news on a daily basis.
- Has proven interpersonal skills representing a newspaper or other organization at civic functions and public venues.
- Understands how to lead, motivate, and mentor a small news staff.
- Must develop a knowledge of local arts, business, and government.
- Must be visible in the community.
- Must possess reliable, insured, motor vehicle and a valid Washington State driver’s license.
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package including health insurance, paid time off (vacation, sick, and holidays), and 401K (currently with an employer match.)
If you are interested in joining our team, email us your cover letter and resume to: email@example.com. Please be sure to note ATTN: “BIR EDITOR” in the subject line.
Sound Publishing is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and strongly supports diversity in the workplace. Check out our website to find out more about us! www.soundpublishing.com.
MULTIMEDIA SALES CONSULTANT, OUTSIDE (Friday Harbor, WA)
Be a part of the largest community news organization in Washington!
- Do you have a proven track record of success in sales and enjoy managing your own territory?
- Are you competitive and thrive in an energetic environment?
- Do you desire to work in an environment which offers uncapped earning opportunities?
- Are you interested in a fast-paced, creative atmosphere where you can use your sales expertise to provide consultative print and digital solutions?
If you answered YES to the above, then we are looking for you! The Journal of the San Juans, in beautiful Friday Harbor in the San Juan Islands, is looking for self-motivated, results-driven people interested in a multi-media sales career. As part of our sales team, you are expected to maintain and grow existing client relationships, as well as develop new client relationships. The successful candidate will also be goal-oriented, have organizational skills that enable you to manage multiple deadlines, provide great consultative sales and excellent customer service. If you have these skills and enjoy playing a pro-active part in impacting your local businesses financial success with advertising solutions, please email your resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Make sure to include ATTN: AD REP (Friday Harbor) in the subject line.
This position receives a base salary plus commissions and benefits package including health insurance, paid time off, and 401K. Position requires the use of your personal vehicle, possession of valid WA State Driver’s License and proof of active vehicle insurance.
Sound Publishing is an Equal Opportunity Employee (EOE) and strongly supports diversity in the workplace. Visit our website to learn more about us! www.soundpublishing.com